A student should plan a minor program in consultation with an appropriate advisor or Department Chairperson. If a student wishes to add a minor after having applied for graduation, he or she must reapply and note the addition on the reapplication for graduation.
Requirements for Minors
1. Students should declare their minor as soon as possible.
2. No courses in the minor can be taken credit/no credit unless they are courses which are designated as credit/no credit (such as internship).
3. At least six semester hours of the coursework in the minor must be completed in residence. These six hours must also be taken for a grade in order to establish a grade point average for the minor.
4. Minor GPA is computed from grades earned in minor courses taken at EIU only.
5. Semester hours earned in independent study, research, internship, or study abroad may be used toward minor requirements at the discretion of and with the approval of the minor department(s).
6. In order for the minor to appear on a student’s permanent transcript, students must have a cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.00 in a non-teaching minor. Students with teaching minors who entered Fall 2002 and thereafter must earn a GPA of at least 2.65 in order for the minor to appear on their permanent transcript.
Biological Sciences Minor Degree Requirements
Total Semester Hours: 21
BIO 1100 - General Biology. Credits: 4
BIO 1200G - General Botany. Credits: 4
BIO 1300G - Animal Diversity. Credits: 4
Electives in Biological Sciences. Credits: 9 (See footnote 1, 2 )
1. With the exception of BIO 3400, BIO 4275, workshops, and courses designed for General Education.
2. A minimum of 6 semester hours must be at or above the 3000 level.