- 72.8 percent of respondents believe it is achievable to graduate from Eastern Illinois University in four years with a bachelor's degree in recreation administration or leisure studies.
- 87.4 percent looked for a job in leisure services after graduation; 84.4 percent of those respondents obtained a full-time position.
- 75.9 percent of those obtaining a full-time position felt that position was directly related to their degree.
- 94 percent of job-seeking respondents secured employment in the field within six months. Graduates one year out of college were earning a mean salary of $25,307 per year. For graduates five years out of college, mean salary increased to $31,240 per year.
Recreation administration majors are qualified for a large variety of occupations within public recreation-oriented organizations, both commercial and non-profit. Our graduates should also compete well for jobs in tourist-oriented recreation companies.
Students interested in a recreation career should be organized, detail-oriented, outgoing, able to encourage/motivate and sensitive to the needs of others.
The following list indicates job titles commonly open to recreation administration graduates:
- Director of Parks and Recreation
- Activity Programmer
- Facility Manager
- Aquatics Supervisor
- Activity Instructor
- Director of Guide Services
- Resort Recreation Director
- Meeting and Event Planner
- Recreation Supervisor
- Assistant Camp Director
- Recreation Center Director
- Park Planner and Project Manager
Recreation administration graduates are eligible to become a certified park and recreation professional (CPRP) through NRPA's National Certification Board. Also, they can become a certified therapeutic recreation specialist (CTRS) by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification.