Principal Administrative Position Exemption Criteria
Administrative and Professional Position/Title Request Instructions
Section 36e(3) of the State Universities Civil Service Act provides for exemption from civil service coverage for certain principal administrative employees for each institution and agency as determined by the Merit Board. Only positions whose duties and responsibilities meet one or more of the following criteria will be approved for exemption.
- Whose primary duty is administrative management of a campus or agency division or like unit, and who reports to the chief executive officer of the campus or agency; or
- Who performs an independent administrative function and reports to the chief executive officer, president, vice president, chancellor, vice chancellor or provost of the campus or agency.
- Whose primary responsibility is the administration of an academic unit engaged in academic instruction or research (e.g., dean, associate and assistant dean, department head, associate and assistant department head).
- Who is charged with high level administrative responsibilities and whose decisions are based on administrative policies; and
- Who performs these duties with only general administrative supervision or direction and who exercises discretion and independent judgment (e.g., director, associate or assistant director).
Who is in a position requiring knowledge of an advanced type in a field of science or learning customarily acquired by a prolonged course of specialized intellectual instruction and study (as distinguished from general academic education) and which requires the consistent exercise of discretion and judgment (e.g., physician, attorney, engineer, architect, archeologist, physicist, biochemist).
Administrative and Professional Position/Title Request