How To Apply to the M.A. in English
If you have questions at any stage during the application process, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies, Dr. Ruth Hoberman.
These items should be sent directly to the Graduate School:
- application for admission;
- transcript showing award of a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university;
- a minimum gradepoint average (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale;
- a documented score on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination.
These items should be sent directly to the Graduate Coordinator of English:
- Two Letters of Recommendation: Provide each letter writer with a copy of the Letter of Recommendation Form. Letter writers should mail letters directly to the Graduate Coordinator of English.
- Personal Statement: Submit a statement of 500-750 words that explains your reasons for undertaking graduate study, your academic preparation, your interests and goals.
- Writing Sample: Send a sample of critical writing that shows us your ability to think and write critically on one of the following: 1) a subject related to English; 2) the academic interests you intend to pursue in graduate school; 3) an area of study in which you have research and writing experience. Your sample should be at least 5 pages long and no more than 20.
- Optional: Curriculum Vitae or resume attached to the personal statement.
- If you are also applying for a graduate assistantship, fill out the GA application and include a CV or resume with your personal statement. For more information on graduate assistantships, click here.