Transfer Orientation, Advisement & Registration
See your advisers, choose your classes, meet new people, and more! Make the connection and get engaged. The sooner you attend, the better your course selection!
Registering for a program
New transfers are required to attend an Orientation, Advisement & Registration program. The program is designed to provide an orientation to campus, allow new students to meet with an academic adviser, register for courses and complete several other tasks.
Transfer students will be e-mailed an invitation to reserve a program date. This invitation will provide additional program information and how to reserve a program date. You cannot attend the program without pre-registering to attend. Students will reserve a date throught myEIU.
* If you have been admitted to EIU but haven't received the link to register for the program, please e-mail New Student Programs at email@example.com.
The program will provide you with an opportunity to accomplish a number of important tasks including:
- Learning about academic degree requirements
- Meeting with your academic advisor
- Using P.A.W.S. to register for your fall classes
- Specific majors require mandatory testing
- Learning the ropes from current students
- Becoming more familiar with campus facilities
- Learning about campus support services and programs
- Programs designed to help parents and students in their transition to EIU
Upcoming Transfer Dates
Students Entering Spring 2013 (program reservation begins October 1, 2012)
- Thursday, November 8, 2012
- Monday, December 3, 2012
- Friday, January 4, 2013
Students Entering Fall 2013 (program reservation begins February 4, 2013)
- Thursday, April 4, 2013
- Wednesday, April 17, 2013
- Monday, April 22, 2013
- Tuesday, May 28, 2013 (Date is full)
- Thursday, June 20, 2013
- Monday, July 15, 2013
Before Attending ...
- Bring a list of courses that you'd like to take. The online course catalog can be found by following this link.
- Make sure that you have sent all previous college transcripts (including the current semester) to Admissions. Providing a current transcript with your in-progress course will ensure the most up to date transfer evaluation and degree audit.
- Wear comfortable clothing and watch the weather!
- Bring a state or federal issued picture ID (school IDs will not be accepted).
Student Program Schedule
- 8:15 a.m. - Check-in, Panther Service Fair & Continental Breakfast, Grand Ballroom
- 8:30 a.m. - University Housing and Dining Services, 1895 Room - This pre-program presentation will include topics such as applying for housing, the role of the housing staff, dining services, computer facilities, student leadership opportunities within the halls, job opportunities, adjustment to life at Eastern, and much more.
- 9:00 a.m. - Welcome, Academic Advisement & Registration Orientation, Grand Ballroom
- 9:30 a.m. - Transfer Evaluation & Articulation Orientation
- 10:10 a.m. - Break - From this point forward there will be separate programs for family members and students. Please know that family members will not be with their students when they meet with their advisor and register for courses. Make sure you and your family/guests discuss where and when you will meet at the conclusion of the program.
- 10:20 a.m. - Student Life & Services Orientation
- 11:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.- College Meetings & Academic Advisement
- Reunite With Your Family/Guests
- 2:00 p.m. - Campus Tour (Optional) -If you have not taken a tour of the EIU campus, we encourage you to do so today. Today’s tour departs from the Office of Admission in Old Main at 2:00 p.m.
Family and Guest Program Schedule
- 8:15 a.m. - Panther Service Fair & Continental Breakfast, Grand Ballroom
- 8:30 a.m. - University Housing & Dining Services, 1895 Room
- 9:00 a.m. - Welcome & Academic Advisement, Grand Ballroom
- 9:30 a.m. - Transfer Evaluation & Articulation
- 10:10 a.m. - Break - From this point forward there will be separate programs for family members and students. Please know that family members will not be with their students when they meet with their advisor and register for courses. Make sure you and your student discuss where and when you will meet at the conclusion of the program.
- 11:15 a.m. - The Inns and Outs of Paying for College - Information you need to know about paying for college, such as how to apply for financial aid, types of aid, the packaging process, student employment, student health insurance and private scholarships. Additionally, the when, what and how of billing - types of charges, credits, how financial aid impacts your bill, due dates and other useful information will be discussed.
- 11:50 a.m. - Student Issues & Services - Learn about different services that EIU offers. Offices that will be discussed include Health Services, Counseling Center, Career Services, Panther Card, and our relationship with First Mid-Illinois Bank & Trust.
- Reunite With Your Student
- 2:00 p.m. - Campus Tour (Optional), Admissions Office, Old Main - If you have not taken a tour of the EIU campus, we encourage you to do so today.