Click here for information about the Master of Science in Sustainable Energy Program.
- EIU Wins National Award for Graduate Education. Click here for the story.
- We are proud to honor international alumni who exemplify Eastern Illinois University's definition of a global citizen as EIU Global Ambassadors.
- New first-time undergraduates earning a minimum 3.5 (out of 4.0) cumulative grade point average will receive a tuition rate which is equal to the current in-state tuition rate!
- To get a snapshot of what EIU's international student demographics look like click here.
- Eastern Illinois University is comprised of 11,630 students on a 320 acre campus located in the safe and friendly community of Charleston, IL.
- To check out all of the student organizations present on EIU's campus click here.
- Receive a more personal educational experience with a small faculty-student ratio of 1:15.
- EIU offers a variety of housing options. To learn more about these options click here.
Welcome to the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) website. Make sure you also check out the EIU Global website.
Eastern Illinois University, located in the east central Illinois community of Charleston, provides the best undergraduate education of any public university the region. This tradition of excellence is continued in a high-caliber master’s program. EIU's strengths are evidenced by an array of excellent education, business, technology, engineering, arts and sciences programs. The University's more than 11,000 students come from over 40 nations.
Why Should I Attend EIU?
- Strong Academics: EIU is ranked in the top 5% nationally (and number 1 in Illinois) for preparing students for doctoral programs according to the National Science Foundation. In addition, US News and World Reports (2012) ranked EIU as the number two public university in Illinois. The University's high academic standing is reflected in high rates of student retention and graduation rates, alumni job placement, and satisfaction among alumni and employers.
- Personal Attention from Distinguished Faculty: EIU features a small faculty-student ratio of 1:15 and 100% of professors have attained their PHD. Research collaboration between students and professors is strongly encouraged.
- Safe and Friendly: EIU is located in a safe and friendly small town with many opportunities to get involved in the university and local community.
- Prestigious Scholarships Available: Scholarships for high qualifying international students are available.
Where is EIU?
EIU is within three hours from Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis, and within easy driving distance of Champaign-Urbana. Convenient rail service to downtown Chicago and Champaign-Urbana is available through the Amtrak train station in nearby Mattoon.
Listen to a few of our students!