The Married Student Housing Advisory Group aided the college as exploration began as to how best accommodate the growing population of students with families attending the institution. In 1959, construction began on two one-story buildings that would become the first phase of married student housing offered to students.
The location of the apartments was decided, through student suggestions, to be on an outlying area of campus to best accommodate the needs of families with children. Taking into consideration that noise from above tenants would cause unneeded friction between occupants, the committee felt there was adequate space for single-story apartments to be constructed. Completed in 1960, the $500,000 planning for the apartments in phase one considered the desire by tenants to be able to stress individual identity. This was designed to be accomplished through provisions of landscaping, walks, terraces, and play areas that would allow for families to personalize their space while being able to enjoy the close proximity of others.
The success of the first phase of University Apartments quickly led to additional construction. The second phase of the apartment complex began with a contract of $311,247 awarded on October 26, 1964. Phase two, completed in 1965 brought the total number of apartments for married and family housing to 154 units. The university added another 63 apartments with the completion of phase three in 1968. The two-story buildings making up the third and final phase of the University Apartment Complex allowed for an ample number of families to feel at home while being active on campus. With apartments ranging in style and set-up, options for students with families grew tremendously during the 1960s.
Today, University Apartments is still home to family housing, while also acting as a great place for graduate or other students of non-traditional status to have the benefits of living on campus, while not being in a traditional residence hall.