Krishna I Thomas
Krishna Thomas is the Assistant Director of Faculty Development, where her duties include planning, organizing and executing strategic planning for Faculty Development, including developing and refining short-term and long-term goals in collaboration with the Director. She is also responsible for coordinating Faculty Development initiatives and collaborative programming situated within a teaching and learning context, with the goal of serving faculty in the areas of teaching, research and creative activity and service.
- Master of Arts in History (Eastern Illinois University)
Bachelor of Sciences in Political Science (Eastern Ilinois University)
- Minors: Pre-Law, French
Professional and Organizational (POD) Network in Higher Education
- Member, History Committee
Her research interests include:
- History of higher education and academic development
- Organizational development
- Faculty work and faculty development
- Diversity in higher education
- World War II and comfort women (gender and collective violence)
- Thomas, K. & Pearson, M.M. (2009). 'Promoting the Wholesome Professor: Building, Sustaining and Assessing Faculty.’ In S. E. Van Kollenburg, (Ed.) A Collection of Papers on Self- Study and Institutional Advancement 2009 – Vol. 1: Accountability and Organizational Leadership (109-111). Chicago, IL: Higher Learning Commission.
- Thomas, K., Pearson, M.M, & Cruse, B. (November, 2008) Creativity & Inspiration: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Engaging Pre-Service Teachers. In Hal Blythe and Charlie Sweet. (Eds.) It Works for Me, as a Scholar-Teacher: Shared Tips for the Classroom (pp.89-91). Stillwater, OK: New Forums Press.
- Thomas, K. (May, 2008).Lola's Story: Writing Comfort Women in World War II History of the Philippines. Master of Arts Thesis. Eastern Illinois University: Charleston, IL.
- Thomas, K. (2007). Politics of History & Memory: The Russian Rape of Germany in Berlin, 1945. Historia, 16, pp. 224-240.
- Thomas, K. (2006).Korean Comfort Women. Historia, 15, pp. 46 – 51.
- Thomas, K. (April 2010). Faculty Professionalization: Impact at Eastern Illinois University. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. College of Education Graduate Student Conference. Champaign, IL.
- Thomas, K. (April 2010). Faculty Development in Higher Education. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. College of Education Graduate Student Conference. Champaign, IL.
- Thomas, K. & Pearson, M.M. (April 2010). Creating Quality Faculty Development Programming to Impact Learning. Higher Learning Commission, Chicago, IL.
- Thomas, K. & Pearson, M.M. (April, 2009). Promoting the Wholesome Professor: Building, Sustaining & Assessing Faculty. Higher Learning Commission, Chicago, IL.
- Thomas, K. (March, 2008).Mga Lola ng Bayan: The Lolas of the Filipino Comfort Women Movement. Women’s Gender and History Symposium. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL.
- Thomas, K. (May, 2007).Mga Lola ng Bayan: The Lolas of the Filipino Comfort Women Movement.History Graduate Student Association. Loyola University, Chicago, IL.
- Thomas, K. (October, 2006).The Lolas of the Filipino Comfort Women Movement.Midwest Conference on Asian Affairs. University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI.
CommunityKrishna is a co-advisor for the Asian American Association, and serves on the Asian Heritage Month committee, and the advisory committees for Minority Affairs and the Interdisciplinary Center for Global Diversity.
She additionally works with the School of Continuing Education for the "Shall We Dance?" Alzheimer's Benefit, and numerous arts-related activities in the Charleston-Mattoon area.