Eastern Illinois University invites applications and nominations for a highly motivated and experienced administrator to serve as Dean of the College of Sciences. The Dean of the College of Sciences reports directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and serves as the executive officer for the internal and external affairs of the college with overall leadership responsibility for undergraduate and graduate curricula, research/creative activity, and service.
Description of Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the overall quality and future directions of the undergraduate and graduate curricula, research/scholarly activities and service/outreach initiatives of the college on a regional, state and national level.
- Articulate a clear vision for the college and provide compelling leadership to realize the vision.
- Provide leadership to advance Integrative Learning opportunities in all degree programs through which students are intentionally encouraged to reflect on the connections between their academic programs and their personal experiences and development.
- Encourage research/creative activity, innovation, scholarship and interaction among faculty.
- Promote a climate in which excellence and research/creative activity is fostered among both students and faculty.
- Set the expectations for the quality and future directions of the undergraduate and graduate curricula.
- Provide skilled higher education administration to facilitate decision making at all levels within the college.
- Execute responsible budget planning and management of state and other funding.
- Forge strong partnerships and collaborative relationships with local through international constituencies.
- Participate actively in public, private and corporate development activities and extramural fundraising efforts for the College.
- Promote a positive work environment for staff, faculty and students.
- Foster diversity among faculty and students.
- Oversee/Contribute to long‐term projects including building a new science building, advancing the CENCERE (Center for Clean Energy Research & Education), developing GIS Science Center and Autism Center.
The position requires an earned doctorate with teaching, research and scholarly achievement commensurate with a tenured faculty appointment in one of the academic units within the college.
Other requirements include:
- Significant administrative and budgetary experience in a higher educational setting at the level of department chair, director or other senior level administrative position.
- Proven leadership ability including the ability to deal effectively with a diverse and broad range of constituencies and the skills necessary to lead a dynamic academic college.
- Demonstrated ability to foster and promote the programs and activities of the College to on‐ and off‐campus constituencies.
- A commitment to innovative undergraduate and graduate education.
- An understanding of and a vision for technology enhanced program delivery consistent with institutional priorities.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- A commitment to enhancing diversity and equal opportunity for minorities and women.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications.
A Complete Application Includes
Applicants should submit a letter of application addressing how the candidate meets the criteria of this position; a resume; and the names, addresses and contact information of five persons who can provide professional recommendations upon request. Transcripts will be required of applicants who are selected for campus interviews.
Application materials are to be submitted in Word or PDF format as attachments to an e‐mail message sent to Dr. Robert M. Augustine, Chair, College of Sciences Dean Search Committee, Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL 61920 (email@example.com).
Review of applications will begin October 15, 2011, and will continue until campus interviews are scheduled or the position is filled.
The preferred start date for the position is July 1, 2012.
Eastern Illinois University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer committed to achieving a diverse community.